Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mid July

Bees are everywhere! I went to the hives yesterday evening - in the 90 degree heat and man, were they active! I opened up blue lid and found a lot of bees. I started pulling out heavy frames, full of nectar. The queen was laying very little in the top box but had a nice brood pattern in the bottom box. I added another level so the bees wouldn't swarm. I am expecting honey from this hive in 2-3 weeks. 
The silver lid hive was not as productive but there was a lot of nectar in the frames, along with brood. Not quite as many bees. 

Year one: My bees were in Anoka County, in a shaded area - no honey yielded.
Year two: My bees were in Anoka County, in a shaded area - no honey yielded
Year three: My bees were in Isanti County, in the woods - about 50lbs honey yielded
Year four: My bees are in Hennepin County, in the woods - honey yielded, TBA

Beeland 2013

-Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment