Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 16, 2013

I inspected my hive on Sunday and found a lot of bees. Ha. It was about 80 degrees and sunny. My bees are in the woods and are fully shaded. When I approached the hive, I did not see much action at the entrances at either hive.

I inspected the first one - with the silver cover - and found A LOT of capped off brood. That queen is very busy! I also found a good amount of nectar. These bees seem to be on par for the season. I added a second level and hope to see a lot more nectar coming in next week.

I got to the second hive - with the blue cover - and these bees didn't seem as strong. I pulled out a frame. It was very light and completely empty, save for maybe 10 capped off brood. This made me wonder if I even had a queen. I pulled out a few more frames and they didn't seem much better. There is very little nectar. I was surprised to find a queen. I hope this hive is doing better next week. There seemed to be a lot of bees in this hive so I added a second level to this one, too.

If anyone has tips about how to make my blue cover hive stronger, please leave them!

On a side note: no stings. no headbutts. Just bees yelling at me. I attract mosquitos more than anyone I know but bees seem to like me.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment